The village of Novaglie belongs to the municipality of Verona, province of Verona, in Veneto region. It is 6.48 kilometers from Verona. It rises 131 meters above sea level and has 223 inhabitants.
Novaglie Valpantena is situated in a valley running from Verona and heads up into the mountains Lessini. It is a pre-alpine alluvial valley that is developed starting from the watershed of the high mountains Lessini.
SITUATION (SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND RELIGIOUS)
Novaglie is located in “Valpantena” name comes from that pantheon, Roman temple, located in Santa Maria in Stelle (so called because the ceiling painted like a starry sky).
At the beginning of the XX Century school were established in the valley, mutual aid societies were provided with the development of Catholic associations. The economy remains predominantly agricultural, but has dramatically improved the extraction of gravel and marble, the mills, the textile manufacturers. In the ’60s, with the development of industries, commuting to the city was growing, while the surroundings of the valley became more and more residential areas, resulting in building sector, while many farms were built in rural areas, the only alternative low productivity of land.
Of particular relevance, in the valley, there are numerous Veneto villas, the ruins dated to the time of Cangrande of the Scala, and other works of art. The Valpantena is part of the district of the wine of Valpolicella. Of great importance is the production of olive oil.
The parish church was built in 1828 and consecrated in 1929. The parish of Santa Maria Maddalena in Novaglie is part of the Vicariate No. 2 (North-East Verona) of the Diocese of Verona.
PRESENCE OF THE COMBONI MISSIONARY SISTERS
The house of the Comboni Sisters is a legacy of the year 1938, whose purpose was to help train the young to the family by teaching sewing, embroidery and so on.
Still longing for the benefactor, the Community of the Sisters of Via Campagnola about the year 1950 they moved to Church Road n. 2 for the chance to open a nursery school, attached to their homes. The nursery school until a few years ago was run by the Sisters, then for lack of Sisters has been replaced by the Parents’ Committee.
Currently the Community of the Sisters is made up of five members.
PURPOSE OF OUR PRESENCE – Parish Pastoral
– SACRISTANS – PASTORAL COUNCIL –
– Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist,
– Ministry of Consolation